Wednesday, December 5, 2012

EZ Microwave Mac N Cheese

I'm sure many of you are familiar with this:
My best friend thinks they are the devil.  For some reason she can never get them to turn out and ALWAYS has to resort to opening up a box of the real thing.  Not much of a time saver there!

I'm not big on them because macaroni and cheese is pretty cheap to make, and the little containers are so pricey for what you get.

Normally, I'm a pb sandwich or salad kind of girl when it comes to lunch.  Sometimes, just sometimes, I want something warm.  Today was that sort of day.

Except I didn't have anything.

Well, I did have Ramen.

But I didn't want that.

So I made the homemade version of "instant macaroni and cheese."  I found the recipe over at Just a Pinch.

Now I could have made myself a full batch of macaroni, but it was just me at home today.  I didn't want to deal with leftovers.  (Let's face it, mac n cheese never tastes quite as good the second day.)

I'm sure there are some of you who are saying to themselves, didn't she already make a microwave macaroni and cheese for one? Yup.  But that one used leftover precooked noodles, which I didn't have.

Here's the cooked up cheese-y noodles in my Giant Tinkerbell Mug:
There's a lot more in there than it looks like.  Probably about the same as the single serving pre packaged containers.

The noodles aren't really that milky-soupy.  It's actually quite cheesy.  It just looks soupy because I used Mexican blend and pepper jack cheeses.  I had to reduce the amount of milk and cheese called for in the original recipe, or it would have been macaroni soup.

Overall, this was OK.  The noodles were a bit more "dente" than I'd have liked, but it did the trick for having something warm for lunch.  It's no where near as good as a batch of mac n cheese from scratch, but it will do in a pinch.  I'll most likely make this again when I'm alone and the macaroni craving strikes.

EZ Macaroni adapted from Just a pinch
1/3c uncooked macaroni noodles
1/2 c water
2 T milk
1/3 c shredded cheese of your choice (I used part pepper jack and Mexican blend)

Put noodles and water in large microwave safe bowl or mug. Be sure to put a microwave safe plate with a lip to catch the water when it boils over...and it will.  Nuke the water and noodles for 2 min.  Stir and repeat.  My noodles took 6 minutes for a very al dente.  Each time I took the noodles out of the microwave, I poured the water from the plate back into the mug.  When your noodles are at their desired "bite" add milk and cheese.  Stir until everything is all melty goodness.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!