Monday, December 10, 2012

Hamburger Buns

I had a bit of a crazy streak the other day. I planned to make sloppy joes for dinner, and thought, why not make some hamburger buns as well. This was my first attempt at making hamburger buns. I used the recipe for hamburger buns from Alisa Cooks.


I think this was a pretty decent recipe for a hamburger bun beginner like myself.  From start to finish they took under an hour to make.  Not too shabby in my opinion.

The biggest problem with these rolls was that they never really browned.  I baked the rolls in the above picture for 20 minutes.  The recipe says they only need 10-12 minutes.  Maybe if I had left the rolls in for 30 minutes they would have browned.  As it was, the rolls were probably slightly undercooked in the middle.  It's nothing horrible.  The middles were more gummy than I would have preferred.  It did not in any way hinder anyone from eating the buns.

I also made the mistake of not smooshing the rolls down.  I sort of left them poofed up like a dinner roll.  As a result, they looked more roll-ish than bun-like.

Even with all my personal difficulties with this recipe, I'd recommend this to the beginner bread baker, or the baker who is short on time.  Give these hamburger buns a try and let me know what you think!

Quick Wheat Hamburger Buns from Alisa Cooks
2 T Active Dry Yeast
1 C Warm Water
1/3 C Oil
 1/4 C Sugar
 1 Egg
1 t Salt
2 C All-Purpose or White Bread Flour
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 C Whole Wheat Flour

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in oil and sugar, and let mixture stand for 5 min.
Add egg, salt, white flour, and 1 1/2 c wheat flour, combining til forms soft dough.  Add additional 1/4 c wheat flour as needed to prevent dough from sticking to your hands (if you need a little more, that is okay too). Knead dough by hand until it is smooth and elastic, about 5 min or so. Divide dough into 8 pieces, shape each into a thick disc, and place them on baking sheets 3" apart.  Preheat oven to 425ºF. Lightly cover dough and let them rest for 10 min (or longer if you wish). Bake 10-12 min, or until nicely browned. Cool on a wire rack.  Yields 8 buns

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!