In all the times I have made mug cakes, THIS has never happened.
The cake EXPLODED in the microwave.
This was supposed to be a Vegan Peanut Butter mug cake from Hot Pot Cooking.
The only thing I can think that could have caused this disaster was that this particular microwave mug cake called for a "Flax egg." A flax egg is part water and part ground flax seed. This mixture gels up and behaves very much like a real egg. It's pretty common in vegan cooking.
To add insult to injury, the gooey mess tasted horrible. This is another thing I can't figure out. Before I popped the mug into the microwave, I licked the spoon I'd used to mix the concoction. It tasted just fine. However, when I took a nibble of the gooey mess inside the cup, the offending substance coated my mouth. It was like a thick gel that was so gooey, it prevented me from being able to form enough saliva to spit it out.
Any ideas as to what might have caused this disaster? Was I right that the flax egg was the culprit? Could my ground flax seed have gone bad? Please share your thoughts!