Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Merlot Brownies

I have this problem, I hate to throw away perfectly good food.  I'm always trying to find new ways to use up leftover ingredients. 

These Marinaded Mushrooms are a huge treat for us, but they only use up half a liter of wine.  Not wanting to throw the wine out, I went on a quest to find a way to use up the remainder of the wine.  I finally chose this recipe for Red Wine Chocolate Fudge Brownies from Butter Me Up, Brooklyn. 

First let me say that my camera did NOT like these brownies.  They were do dark that the camera would not focus properly unless I used the flash.  Then when I did use the flash, it made the top all glare-y and shiny.  The brownies look almost red in this photo.  They are in reality a very deep dark brown.

The camera wasn't the only one who didn't like these brownies. 

I thought they were horrible. 

Then again, I don't like red wine.

They have a very strong red wine taste.

So, if you like red wine, this is the recipe for you.  Then again, if you like red wine, you probably won't have any leftover wine sitting around in your fridge.  I'm sure that you could buy a bottle of wine just for baking purposes and then just drink the rest of the bottle. 

Obviously Mrblocko loved these brownies, cause he does like the taste of red wine.  Strangely, Blockette loved them as well. Go figure.

Red Wine Brownies from Butter Me Up Brooklyn
For the brownies:
4 ounces  semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup  red wine
2 eggs
1/2 cup  brown sugar
1/4 cup  sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup  flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon  salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips




For the glaze:
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon  butter
2 tablespoon red wine
pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 350. Butter an 8×8 pan and line with two sheets of parchment paper, then butter the parchment. Set aside. Melt chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth. (I just nuked them in the microwave.) In a large bowl whisk eggs, sugars and vanilla. Whisk in chocolate mixture and then  wine. Add flour, cocoa powder and salt and stir until batter is smooth and has thickened slightly. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes (My oven took 30 min) or until a tester comes out mostly clean with just a few crumbs attached. While brownies are baking make glaze. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over simmering water until melted. Add the butter, wine and salt and whisk until smooth. (I let this cook up to a low simmer, stirring constantly, to cook off any alcohol.) Pour glaze over warm brownies and spread it to the corners so the top is evenly coated. Cool completely and cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!