Tuesday, February 27, 2018

sage sausage pumpkin pasta

I found this recipe when I had some sage sausage in the freezer i didnt know what to do with.  I usually just make scotch eggs, but I wanted something different.  I made it for dinner last night and it was easy enough to make after piano lessons.  Probably took an hour from start to table.  

It was proclaimed to be better than any other pumpkin pasta dish I've made before from both Teenblock and Mrblocko.  Teenblock said the spices from the sausage balanced out the sweetness of the pumpkin.  I will have to take their word for it. I couldnt taste much of anything because i have a stupid head cold.  

Pumpkin Baked Ziti with Sage Sausage adapted via vodka and biscuits
1 lb ziti or rigatoni noodles, cooked to al dente  I used rigatoni
1 lb sage sausage 
1/2 onion, diced (mine had way less onions than the original photo. next time I will use 2 sm onions)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
4 sage leaves, chopped
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t red pepper flakes
pinch of cinnamon
1/2 c dry white wine (I used Gato negro's Sauvignon blanc. This is my go to white wine for cooking. Decent taste and super inexpensive.)
1 c vegetable stock (My sauce was really thick so I probably added at least another c.)
15 oz can pumpkin puree
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (I used italian cheese blend - probably closer to 1 1/2 c)

Preheat the oven to 350. Brown sausage in a skillet over med high heat. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. set aside. In same skillet, add onion, garlic, and bay leaf. Cook til onion translucent, about 3 min. Add sage , red pepper flakes, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt/pepper to taste. Cook 1 min. Add wine and cook til reduced by half. The heat should remain to med high. Add stock and stir in the pumpkin. The pumpkin will thicken the sauce. Stir in sausage and pasta. pour into sprayed 9x13 dish.  top with cheese. Bake 25-35 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!