Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Crockpot lentil and beef sloppy joes

Because I like to torment my daughter, I told her that I renamed these sloppy joes, Sloppy Johanns, after her teacher,  She loves her teacher and was thus thoroughly offended.

It's the little things!

Lentil and beef sloppy joes via The recipe rebel
1 lb  gr beef
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 small zucchini, shredded (could substitute a carrot, other veg, or just leave out)
¾ c split red lentils, dry (I've used regular lentils)
1½ c water or broth (beef, chicken or veg)
1 c ketchup
1 t salt
4 T apple cider vinegar
½ c BBQ sauce
½ t minced garlic
2 T Worcestershire sauce
⅓ c brown sugar
1-2 pinches red pepper flakes

In large pan, cook ground beef and onion over med heat until browned. While meat's cooking, add remaining ingredients to slow cooker (I used a 6qt, and it was about half full). Add ground beef and stir. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.  

The leftovers taste especially good over a baked potato, topped with cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!