Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Cheater crockpot chicken n dumplings

I've never been a big fan of chicken and dumplings. It had been years and years since I tried it, I figured I should give the dish another shot. Besides...this recipe was sooo easy. It's one of those dump and go recipes. Chicken, butter, onion water and cream of chicken soup all hop into the crockpot. Then, about an hour before serving you tear up biscuits in a can and toss them into the slowcooker. Yeah. I'm all about that.

The dish was actually good. I thought it was a little salty and on the thick side. The recipe doesn't tell you how much water to add. It just says, cover ingredients with water. I used my 5 quart crock pot and 4 soup cans filled with water. Mrblocko liked the thickness and saltiness, and told me not to add any extra water next time. I'm going to add one more can of water, just to see, and because I am a stinker that way.

The recipe didn't say how big to make the dumplings. I made mine on the small side...about the size of a marshmallow. I wanted them to be bite size for Blockette. Also, my biscuit cans were 7.5 oz each . The recipe suggests using 10 oz cans, but I don't think the dish was lacking in dumplings. I thought the chicken to dumpling ratio was perfect. Then again, what do I know about chicken and dumplings. I'm just going off of what I liked.

I also added 5 small carrots, sliced into thin coins, and 2 cloves minced garlic when I tossed in the biscuit bits. I wanted more of a one pot meal. The carrots and garlic gave a nice addition to the flavor. I think some frozen cut green beans might be another great addition to the dish, and a good way to add another veggie.

click here for the recipe.

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings from Lynn's Kitchen Adventures
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons butter
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 onion, finely diced
2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces

Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover. Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. About 1 hour before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you tried it. I agree it could be thinner, but my husband likes it thick. I guess you can never please everyone in the family can you. :) The addition of veggies is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!