Friday, March 5, 2010

Lemony Chicken Soup

Usually when my mom comes up to visit she brings me magazines that she is done reading. I found this great recipe for Lemony Chicken Soup in one of those random magazines. I think it was from Prevention, but I have no idea what issue.

I altered the recipe slightly because it was super thick. The result was still a very thick soup. If you like a thinner soup, go ahead and add more stock or water to thin it out.

I think with this recipe I've come to the conclusion that I'm not the biggest fan of orzo. I think it's the shape. Maybe I'm expecting rice and get disappointed. The next time I make this I'll use another soup cut pasta like Acini de pepe instead.

Blockette gave this soup two thumbs up, and told me that I had to make it again.

Lemony Chicken Soup
1 tsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic,minced
8 c chicken stock
2 ribs of celery, finely chopped
1 1/2 c shredded carrots
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2-3/4 c uncooked orzo
2 1/2 c frozen cut green beans
3 c chopped cooked chicken, shredded
2 lg eggs
4 T lemon juice

Heat oil in large pot over med heat. Add garlic. Cook until garlic is light brown, about 1 min. Add stock, celery, carrots, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add orzo and reduce heat to simmer. Cook orzo until al dente, about 8 minutes. Add green veggies and chicken. Simmer 2 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk eggs and lemon juice in medium size bowl. Warm egg mix with 1 c hot stock in a thin stream. Whisk egg mix into soup and warm breifly over low heat for 2 minutes. Do not boil or eggs will curdle. Adjust seasoning as needed with more salt, pepper or lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!