Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mediterranean Red Lentil Soup

I found this recipe on a blog called A Pot of Tea and a biscuit. The original recipe was called Turkish Red Lentil Soup. Since I added Italian sausage and both Italy and Turkey are on the Mediterranean sea I saw fit to rename my version, Mediterranean Red Lentil Soup.

Blockette has been especially contrary this week and proclaimed she didn't like it before she even tasted it. Too bad for her because Mrblocko and I thought this soup was awesome. I'll be making this soup again. When I do, I'll just be sure to stop at the craft store to get extra strong Velcro for her to keep her hand stuck to her forehead with minimal effort. How could I have forgotten how tragically difficult it is to be 4.5!
Here's the recipe with my changes included:

Red Lentil Soup, Mediterranean style

1c red lentils, rinsed and cleaned
5 c stock (dealers choice. I used half chicken and half veg stock)
2 small onions, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large Idaho potato,peeled diced and divided
1 medium size Yukon gold potato,diced (I left the skins on, but you can peel if you are averse to potato skins)
2 tsp paprika
3 carrots, cut into half moon coins
1 lb bulk Italian sausage
salt and pepper to taste

Place washed lentils in a large pot with stock, half of the Idaho potato and the paprika. Bring to a boil and simmer. While the stock is coming to a boil, crumble sausage in a skillet, leaving sausage pieces in small bite size chunks. Cook until sausage is browned. Remove the sausage from the pan and place on a paper towel to cool. Cook the onion and garlic in the sausage drippings until they are caramelized. Add the onions and garlic to the pot and reduce heat to a simmer. Loosely place a lid on the pot. Cook for about 20-30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.

While the soup is simmering, in a smaller pot, cook the remaining diced potatoes and carrots until they are fork tender. (I like my carrots to have a tiny bit of crunch, so I fished those out first.) Once the carrots and potatoes are cooked, drain and set them aside.

Once your lentils have finished cooking, remove the pot from the heat. Place all but 1-2 cups of this mixture in a blender and pulse briefly. Be careful not to burn yourself as this mixture will be hot. Return the blended and reserved soup to the large pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, potatoes and crumbled sausage to the pot as well. Reheat uncovered until the soup is warm. Makes about 5 servings.

1 comment:

  1. My gardener has to have meat - even in soup, so I think the sausage is a really nice addition to this soup. It looks really hearty and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!