Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Omnomruffles!

I wrote about making dulce de leche in my crock pot the other day. Maybe you are wondering what I made with all of it? The first thing I made were these "Truffles". I found this recipe for omnomruffles over on Not so humble pie. I had bookmarked the site and once I got around to printing the recipe out I discovered that the blogger had rewritten the recipe! The new recipe contained only 1 Tablespoon of Dulce de Leche, compared to the original recipe that required 1/2 cup.

While I'm sure that the revised version was smooth and truffle-y, I wanted to make the original recipe. Not only did I want to use up some of the Dulce de Leche I had just made, but I didn't have any cream in the house. I did a bit of sleuthing and was able to recover the original recipe.

This version is a bit denser than a typical truffle. I actually liked it better than a normal truffle. I tend to freeze the store bought truffles which causes them to lose some of that creamy texture. These omnomruffles were a bit like the frozen store bought truffles. That was a very good thing.

The bad thing was that I rolled them in dutch process cocoa. This was a bit more bitter than I would have liked and extremely messy. Next time I make these I will roll them in finely chopped nuts instead.

Below is the recipe I used. Feel free to head over to Not so humble Pie to see the recipe for the revised omnomruffles

Original Not So Humble Omnomruffles: yields roughly 2 dozen truffles
3/4 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate (in the 50-60% cacao range) (I used Gheradelli 60% dark squares left over from Christmas)
1/2 cup dulce de leche
1/2 cup Nutella
cocoa powder

In a heat safe bowl, warm the chocolate in the microwave. Be careful not to cook it long, as overheating will ruin the texture of your chocolate. Remove the chocolate and stir until completely melted and smooth. First mix in the Nutella and then add the dulce de leche. Once well combined and smooth, cover and refrigerate. Once the mixture is cool and firm, roll spoonfuls of the mixture into balls and set onto a baking tray. Chill the balls for 20 minutes and then roll in a dish of cocoa powder.They will hold up fine at room temperature but if you wish to store them for more than a day, keep them chilled in an air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!