Saturday, September 17, 2011

'11 Happy Dance #22: Blockette's Purse

Blockette got her very own real live wallet for her birthday. She even has her very own real live library card to put in it.  It's a very real live big deal.  Blockette had been temporarily using her fish bag as a means for transporting her wallet to and fro. But sometimes, you just don't feel like toting around a fish bag.  Variety in one's accessories is essential for someone so fashionable as Missy Ma'am. So being the awesome mom that I am, I told her that I would make her a purse. 

Several years ago, I had the brilliant idea of making a string quilt.  The project sort of fizzled as I got tired assembling the blocks.  It's a great way to use up fabric scraps, but for me, it was really, really boring.  Since I already had a stack of these quilt blocks assembled I decided to use them for the outside of the bag.

The string quilt blocks were essentially strips of fabric that formed a diagonal stripe across the square.  I took two of the blocks that I thought would have the most pleasing color combinations to Blockette and placed them right sides together.  Then, I drew a line down the center and sewed 1/4" on each side of that line.  Then I cut on the line that I drew.  This gave me 2 blocks with a "V" shaped stripe. 

I repeated the process again, matching up the blocks at the center seam, with the fabric right sides together.  Only this time, I made the center line perpendicular to the first seam.  After I drew the center line and sewed 1/4" on each side of that line, I cut down the center line I had just drawn.  When you do this, you get a block that makes an "X" and a block that makes an "O". 
I wanted the purse to be a little more sturdy than just an outer layer and a lining, plus I thought this would be an excellent way to practice doing some free motion quilting.  I mean I've only had that stupid free motion foot for a year.  I've been scared to use it.  Living in fear that I would ruin whatever it was that I was going to stitch on.  Well that is just down right silly.

This whole free motion thing is going to take a bit of practice, but it was not as hard as I thought it was going to be.  I made sort of a squiggly maze like pattern on the "X" and a loopy pattern on the "O".  It's not exactly how I intended it to come out, but I am happy with it as my first real attempt at machine quilting.

Originally, I had thought about using batting, but I thought that might make the bag too thick and poofy.  So, I used part of an old flannel receiving blanket from when Blockette was a baby as backing/batting.  I'm tellin' you if you are a crafter with a newborn, don't throw these suckers out. (The receiving blankets that is.) You'll find a plethora of uses for them down the road.  Don't throw your baby away either.  You'll find loads of uses for them down the road as well.  (Like fetching kleenexes when you are horribly stricken with allergies.)

I opted for just one layer of the flannel.  I didn't want the fabric to get too stiff after it was quilted.  As it was, once the fabric was quilted together, it provided the perfect amount of stability for the purse.  Hooray for an educated guess!
I wanted to add as a side note about free motion quilting...they sell these special gloves with grippy bits on them that help you hold onto the fabric as you quilt.  I think these gloves are awesome, but most of them won't fit over bracers.  As I have carpal tunnel, bracers are essential for machine quilting.  After Halloween I found these stretchy gloves on clearance in the boy's section at Target.  Since they are stretchy, they fit wonderfully over my bracers. They have a great grippy surface exactly where I need it.  I think the design is supposed to go on the outside of the glove, but who cares!
So here is the finished bag. I made the lining an inch or so taller than the exterior of the bag and just folded it over and stitched it down on the outside of the bag.  I was originally going to cut the lining the same size as the quilted outside, and cover the seam with bias tape.  Then I realized I was creating a lot more work for myself. Plus, I love the fabric I used for the lining, and I think it looks cute peeking over the opening of the purse.

To attach the straps I used a scrap of bias tape I had leftover from another project.  One of the buttons is hiding the seam where the fabric was joined.  I left some slack in the fabric so I could "thread" the straps through the sides.  The blue bias tape is only attached on the front and back of the purse to allow for this.

The straps were made from a strip of fabric 2 inches wide.  I folded in a scant 1/2 inch seam on each side, just like you would if you were making bias tape.  The only real difference is I didn't cut the fabric on the bias.  I thought that would make the strap too stretchy, in addition to being a lot more work.  A double knot on each side of a white wooden bead keeps the straps in place.

I used a little circle of velcro as a closure.  I thought it would be the easiest way to make sure the bag stayed properly shut.  The bag is small enough that it seems like the bag shuts itself when it's not being rummaged through.

When I got to this point, I thought the bag could use a little glamor.  I went through my button box and thought the rainbow button, the hearts and stars made the perfect final touch.  Besides, Blockette LOVES buttons.  (Blockette always manages to con my mother into buying some for her every time we go to JoAnn Fabrics together.  How come she never buys me any buttons?  Wah!  Wait, she brings me cool stuff like Nutella and peppery pistachios.  NEVERMIND!)

So there you have it, a little purse for Blockette that cost me zero dollars to make.  I love it when that happens.  Crafter stash to the rescue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!