Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Thanksgiving Hash

Is it bad that I'm just now finally using up the last of the turkey leftovers from Thanksgiving...and it's September? Yeah. The last of the shredded up turkey had worked its way to the very back of the freezer. When I came across it I thought, "Sheesh! I'd better use this ASAP!"
I originally found this recipe on thedabble.com, but for some reason, the website wasn't loading at the time I wrote this post.  The recipe originally comes from Martha Stewart's Mega Media Conglomerate Empire. So, if you want to make this Turkey and Sweet Potato Hash you can find the recipe here.

Turkey and Sweet Potato Hash?  Really Martha?  You couldn't come up with anything more creative than that?  I think you're losing your touch.  It should have been called Thanksgiving Hash, because that's exactly what it is.  All the great and wonderful foods of Thanksgiving having a hash-y hootenanny.  You've got your sweet potatoes, turkey, cranberry sauce, apples and sage.  If those flavors don't scream Thanksgiving, nothing does.

I'm glad that I saved this recipe for last in my leftover turkey recipe queue. I don't think we would have appreciated this recipe close to Thanksgiving itself.  It would have felt like just eating Thanksgiving leftovers.  Eating this at the end of summer, when we're wishing for fall was a perfect culinary fit.

I decided to dice my apples and potatoes.  I was going to have to cut them up for Blockette anyhow, so I figured why not do it while I was chopping things up anyway.  I also browned the potatoes before adding them to the rest of the ingredients.  Mrblocko and I both prefer our potatoes to have a nice crispy exterior.  I also used stock for the wine and milk for the cream.  I'm sure the meal would have been even better if I had used those rich and flavorful ingredients.

Even with the cheapo alternatives, the meal was quite good.  The turkey was a bit on the dry side but what can you expect with it sitting in the freezer for so long?  Normally, I'm not a big fan of Cranberry Sauce, but I thought its sweet and tangy flavors really helped hide that the turkey was so dry.  Or maybe I'm starting to like cranberry sauce?  Or maybe the key to cranberry sauce is to not eat it by itself?

If you have leftover turkey from Thanksgiving lurking about in your freezer like I did, please make this recipe.  Or make it if you are jonesing for the tastes of a full Thanksgiving spread, but just don't have the gumption for all that work.


Martha's Sweet Potato and Turkey Hash
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick, 1 1/2-inches-long wedges
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for toast
1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
1 medium onion, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1/2 cup dry white wine
8 ounces cooked turkey breast, shredded (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
4 to 6 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted

Place potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until just tender, about 7 minutes. Drain; set aside. Heat 3 tablespoons butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add apple; cook until golden, about 11 minutes. Transfer to a plate; set aside. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, the onion, and celery to skillet; cook until slightly softened, 9 to 10 minutes. Add wine; cook until liquid has almost evaporated. Add turkey, potatoes, cream, and stock. Simmer until sauce is creamy and vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Stir in sage and apple; season with salt and pepper. Spoon onto buttered toast, and drizzle with sauce.

1 comment:

  1. Where does the cranberry sauce come in? You top it with the cranberry sauce on your individual serving.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!