Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Her Royal Highness

When I asked Blockette at the beginning of October what she wanted to be for Halloween, she replied without hesitation, "Cleopatra."

Mrblocko thought this might be a tall order, but I did a search on google and pinterest and got some really great ideas.  I knew that this was a costume that I could make with no problem.

I set a challenge out for myself to use what I had, spending as little money as possible.  I did end up buying the turquoise fabric and the turquoise fabric paint, although, I used a gift card from JoAnn Fabrics that I got for my birthday.  I'll use the fabric paint for something else, and I'm sure the shawl will get used in some other project as well. I'm labeling those things as a gray area.

Everything else I found in my craft room! 

Blockette's dress is made from an old sheet that had a hole in it.  The gold fabric I got from my best friend a few years ago when she was cleaning out her fabric stash.  The gold fabric was stretchy and thin, so I fused it to some denim fabric.  The denim came from torn jeans also given to me by my best friend.  I had the red and black fabric paint from a previous project.  I also used Velcro and yarn to attach the cuffs, collar, belt and crown.  They were also leftover from long ago projects.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  I did have a moment at the School's family Halloween party last Friday when I saw another girl wearing a store bought "Queen of the Nile" costume.  I got kind of freaked out that Blockette's costume was so obviously homemade.  However, Blockette LOVES her outfit, and in the end, that is the most important thing.

Happy Trick or Treating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!