Friday, October 21, 2011

'11 Super Duper Dance Party Rave of Joy # 26: Pantry Quilt

It's done!  It's done!  It's finally done!  My first official real life quilty quilt of hugeness.  And huge it is.  I had intended it to be twin size, but it had a mind of its own and became a full size quilt.
The design is called a jar quilt.  Each jar and piece of the border fabric are different.   The quilt is for Blockette and I've titled it "Wizard's Pantry."  Each jar is something that I thought you might find if you were to take a peek in the pantry of a wizard.
For example, the above jars contain: mermaids, slime, snowflakes, fairies and butterflies, peas (hey a wizard needs to eat his greens too), a fairy, lightning, and coins.

I started this quilt last year once Blockette had started Kindergarten.  I worked on it for a 30 minutes to an hour each day she was at school. I finished all the cutting and piecing work, then took a break for the summer.

Once school started up again, I pinned and machine quilted it.  I think I spent more time trying to decide how to quilt the darn thing, than I did actually quilting it.  I had to revise my plan several times because my machine quilting skills are not very good yet.  I still need lots and lots of practice before I can attempt the more precise and fancy designs.
I settled on outlining the jars and doing a squiggly sort of stipple on the border.  Sometimes it was completely random, and others I went around the design of the border fabric.
I wanted to do something slightly different on the white blocks in the corners. It is supposed to be an abstract sort of palm leaf. Yeah. I know. Remember, I said it was abstract, so use your imagination.

Once I had the top pieced, I realized that I hadn't planed on a fabric for the back.  I was out of crafting funds at the time, so I needed to use the fabric already in my stash.  I found this wonderful Geisha fabric that I had no immediate plans for and thought it would be perfect.  Perfect, except for the fact that there wasn't enough fabric to back the entire quilt.
So I had to get creative and piece the back with other fabrics in my stash. The back turned out like this:

Not too bad for winging it.  There was only one problem.  I have no idea how it happened, but the black fabric on the bottom border ended up really wide in parts.  I thought I had squared everything of all hunky dory, but I guess not.  That's just character. And it makes the quilt really identifiable should anyone dare to swipe it.

Since I made this entirely while Blockette was at school, she has no idea that I've made her a quilt.  I haven't given it to her yet.  I'm debating whether or not to save it for a Christmas present.  I guess that is going to depend on how cold it gets in November, or if she decides to go in my craft room.  I mean it's just sitting out there.  The label is face up and has her name on it, so I guess it's going to depend more on if I can find a place to hide it before she goes in there.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the Jar quilt. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She went in the craft room twice after school today and didn't see it. If she had gotten any closer it would have bitten her right on the nose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a jar quilt, rather than just the usual bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt is really neat. What creativity to fill the jars - I am sure it will be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's a very fun quilt...front and back! i think using stash for the back is a great exercise in creativity. i think you did great!!!

    thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE it!! What a great idea using things from the wizard's pantry -- too cute! She will love it, whenever you give it to her, and often things hidden in plain sight are the least noticeable. lol Congrats on a wonderful finish! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!