Friday, June 17, 2011

Brownie Covered Oreos

What do you do when an OREO just isn't enough of a desert for you? Oh sure you've made OREO Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies before, but that is old hat, it's just not gonna cut it anymore. Why not bake the Oreo in a brownie. In individual cookie shaped portions no less. I discovered the genius of brownie covered Oreos over at Picky Palate. What makes these treats truly brilliant is that they are baked in a muffin tin! That's how they keep their cookie-esque shape.

After a bit of trial and error, I discovered that there is no need to super coat the OREOS with brownie batter. I just give them a quick little dip because the brownie batter does poof up when baked.

One of the best things about this cookie-brownie hybrid is that they are pre portioned. I am one of those people who cuts a tiny slice off the brownies. Then I come back 5 min later because, well I only had a tiny slice. I will do that 3 or 4 times and then finish off a row. Then I will have to cut a long skinny piece from the entire row because I cut the row crooked. Lather, rinse, repeat until I've eaten half the pan of brownies. That is no good cause it makes me sick and I am too thickheaded to just STOP EATING THEM ALREADY! I never learn. So yes. Portioned brownies are a very good thing in this house.

I liked the cookies best when they were warm. I loved how the Oreo was soft inside. I probably could have recreated this by nuking the cooled cookie for a few seconds in the microwave, but to be honest, it didn't occur to me until just now to do that. I'll have to remember that for next time.

Also, I think I will try using some of the different flavored OREOS for the next batch. I'm thinking the peanut butter or the mint ones would be tasty.

P.S. That really is my hand in the picture. Yes it is that enormous. I have freakishly large hands and feet for a short girl. I blame that for my excessive clumsiness.

P.P.S No actual OREOS were harmed in the making of this treat. I used the generic store brand "Double O's" and no one was the wiser. At least until now. EEEP! My cover is blown. Guess I'll have to go into hiding.

Brownie Covered Oreos from Picky Palate
1 Brownie mix (or use your own brownie recipe)
1 package Oreos, I used the Holiday ones
White chocolate, melted for drizzle, or Wilton White frosting pen works great
White nonpariels Sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare brownie batter according to package directions. Leave in mixing bowl. Dip Oreos in brownie batter then place in bottom of cupcake tins that have been generously sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 min, til brownies are cooked through (doesn’t take long). As soon as you remove, take a plastic knife and run along edges, this is VERY important so you get the cookie out with brownies not stuck to pan. Let cool 5 min, remove and  drizzle with melted white chocolate or the Wilton White icing pen, sprinkle with nonpariels. Makes entire package of Oreos

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! Super yum! I absolutely love brownies and Oreos are my kids favorite. Win win on this one, I think!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!