Friday, November 18, 2011

French Toast Waffles

My mom makes the best french toast on the planet. This is not up for debate as I doubt any of you have ever had my mom's french toast. You'll just have to take my word for it. I did come pretty close on the deliciousness scale this summer using Homemade Cinnamon Bread for the bread in french toast.

Well, I didn't have any cinnamon bread on hand, fresh or store bought, to go that route. So, instead, I gave waffle iron french toast from Cooking with my Kid a test drive.  This is pretty much your standard french toast recipe, but you cook it in the waffle iron.  Waffles and French Toast?  At the same time?  Can you say AWESOMESAUCE?!!!!
Blockette and I agreed that this french toast was almost as good as the french toast my mom makes. Almost, but not quite. However, as I can't very well have my mom drive 7-8 hours just to satisfy my french toast desires, it will suffice.

what I did:
7 pieces of sandwich bread (I left the crusts on)
2 eggs
1/3 c milk
3 T maple syrup (aka tree blood)
lots and lots of cinnamon (I kept adding more after every slice of bread was dipped)
1/4 t nutmeg
pinch of black pepper

Preheat your waffle iron. Whisk all ingredients together until combined. Dip bread immediately before placing on the waffle iron to cook. I only gave my bread a quick dip in the egg mix,and let the excess drip off. I don't care for the soggy type of french toast. This was how I was able to get 7 pieces of bread. The last piece was a bit lacking on the egg coating so keep all that in mind. Setting 4 on my particular waffle iron worked out perfectly, but we like our french toast and waffles on the crispier side. Experiment to find out what works best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!