Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Warm butterbeer

I posted a frozen version of Butterbeer in Popsicle form back in September. Now that it is brr freezing cold out, I thought I'd share the more seasonally appropriate hot butterbeer I found over at What the Devil is Going on Here.
Blockette and I are at the part in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban where Harry uses the Marauder's Map and his invisibility cloak to sneak into Hogsmeade, where he has Butterbeer for the first time.

This version, as you can see by the photo below, is quite buttery.  The butter never fully mixes in with the rest of the ingredients, so you've got to stir it before every sip.
Mrblocko and Blockette really enjoyed their mugs, but I thought it tasted a bit too much like drinking a mug of buttermilk syrup. Buttermilk syrup is amazing and everything, but just a bit rich for my taste to drink by the mug full. (By the spoonful is a whole 'nother ball o' wax though.)

I feel the need to warn everyone that the possibility of burning yourself is quite high with this beverage. The butter acts as an insulator to the molten liquid below.  I took a tiny sip and thought my drink was potable.  What happened was I got a small amount of butter, which was cooler than the liquid below.  So, thinking the whole mug was as cool as the first sip I took a big swig.  Luckily, the butter had coated my tongue and mouth so I only burnt the back of my throat.  That is something that I highly suggest you avoid doing.  Don't be me.

Molten Hot Butterbeer from What the Devil is Going on Here
2 T butter
2 T Brown sugar
1 mug of milk
1 t vanilla
dash of cinnamon

In a pan melt butter and brown sugar together to make a caramel.  Add milk, vanilla and cinnamon, stir to combine.  Bring mixture to a boil and add to the mug of your choosing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!