Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Flourless Brownie Flop

So I made these flourless brownies on a whim. (Sorry, no photo this time.)   My mom was in town and she is on this low glycemic index diet. I thought these flourless brownies from The Hoot Eats would be fun to try out as they are low in sugar and carbs.

I followed the recipe, exactly save for using honey instead of brown rice syrup. The recipe says that you can use any sweetener of your liking so I still think this qualifies as following the recipe exactly.

The brownies tasted ok. Not overly sweet, but just sweet and chocolate-y enough to qualify as brownies. Nothing too special, but I wasn't expecting to be blown away. Blockette thought they were great because they were gluten free. Her teacher has celiac disease, so Blockette thought it was super cool she was eating a brownie that her teacher could eat too.

Apparently, these brownies were supposed to be very crumbly. Mine didn't turn out that way.  They held together quite well.  I can't figure out why as I followed the recipe to the letter.

I wasn't sure how to store them, so I figured the fridge would be a safe bet.  Do NOT do this.  These brownies turned to mush the next day.  Soggy soggy mush.  They were so wet I tossed them.  You know they had to be pretty nasty for me to toss out chocolate.

I'm not trashing this recipe at all.  They are great for what they are.  I'd make these again for someone who couldn't have gluten, I'd just store them on the counter as opposed to the fridge.

Gluten Free Brownies
from The Hoot Eats
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoons brown rice syrup [or other sweetener]
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
Mix ins as you desire–chocolate chips, pretzels, nuts, candy

Preheat to 375 F.  Mix all ingred except last three.  Add cocoa and baking powders.  Pour batter into greased 8x8" dish.  Sprinkle mix ins on top.  Bake 15-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

I did a bit more investigating, and it looks like you can swap out the applesauce for pumpkin, use any kind of nut butter, and add a few tablespoons of ground flax seed.  I'll bet the pumpkin version doesn't get nearly as moist as the applesauce one, which is probably a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!