Sunday, November 27, 2011

Lion House Rolls

These Lion House Rolls from Mel's Kitchen Cafe were amazing.  I was over the moon when they turned out looking and tasting like bread.  It's too bad that I didn't see the link on how to roll them and place them on the sheet until well after I made them.  Oh well.  There will be a next time.  I'll try to remember to post an updated photo when I cut, roll and place them on the cookie sheet properly.

Here's the before shot.  Yeah. I was really in a hurry to get those rolls into the oven.  Finished was better than perfect.  I'd rather have a weird sized roll vs no roll at all with my soup!

Here's what they looked like after 15 min in the oven.  They probably should have been darker, but it was dinner time and Blockette and I were famished. 
I froze 12 of the cooked rolls, as I knew they weren't going to get eaten before they got stale.  I put them in the fridge to defrost and nuked them for a few seconds to heat them up.   They were great for breakfast when I was on antibiotics and was trying to stay clear of dairy.

Here is the recipe as written on Mel's Kitchen Cafe.  (I highly suggest heading over to her site as she has wonderfully helpful pictures.):

Lion House Rolls
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 egg
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
5-6 cups flour

In a large bowl, combine the yeast and water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add sugar, butter, salt, dry milk, 2 cups flour and egg. Beat together until very smooth. Add remaining flour gradually (1/2 cup at a time) until a soft but not sticky dough is formed. Knead dough for at least 5 minutes if using an electric mixer and for at least 10 minutes if mixing the dough by hand. When the dough is smooth, supple and elastic, place it in a lightly greased large bowl covered with greased plastic wrap and let it rise until doubled.

Separate the dough into two portions. Roll each section out to an 11X14-inch rectangle. Brush the top with melted butter. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the dough into two pieces, the long way (see photos below). Then slice the dough into five or six strips across so you end up with 10 to 12 small rectangles. Roll each small rectangle up like a snail and place on a silpat-lined or lightly greased baking sheet with the roll resting on it’s open edge. Repeat with the second portion of dough.
Cover the rolls with lightly greased plastic wrap and let them rise until doubled. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-14 minutes until they are nicely browned.

Here is the YouTube video on how to roll out the...um...rolls. Good thing it's a video cause I've no idea how you explain that flippy thing the lady on there does.  I can't wait to give it a try!

6 comments:

  1. Gee, they look pretty good to me! Thanks for a great recipe. Makes me a little embarrassed about the tube of rolls in my refrigerator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, don't be embarrassed about the tube of rolls in your fridge. I have 2 at the moment! I love how fresh bread tastes, but sometimes there just isn't enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just so jazzed they looked and tasted like a roll from the store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lion house rolls. yours look so good. wish i had them in my kitchen right now ):

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had some in my kitchen right now too! :) I haven't been in a bread baking mood lately, but I sure have been in a fresh bread eating mood. Although, now that I think about it, I don't know that I've ever NOT been in the mood for fresh bread!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!