Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chocolate Cran-cherry Almond Butter

Hey! Apparently it is nutty spread week! Just to clarify, no I did not make all of these butters this week. They were all made at various times in January and February. I'm only just now getting around to writting about them!

This "butter" turned out much better than the Chocolate Pecan Butter I posted yesterday. Look! No oily separated ugly mess! Whoo hoo! Like the other spreads, I found the recipe for chocolate cherry almond butter at How Sweet It Is. I made a few tweaks to the recipe to suit my tastes. I added a Tablespoon of Sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt. I also swapped out regular cocoa powder for the dutch processed variety, and used cherry flavored cranberries instead of dried cherries simply because it was what I had on hand.

So the almond butter LOOKED good, but how did it taste? Wonderful. I loved the balance between nutty, chocolaty, sweet and tart. My favorite way to eat this was smeared on a slice of freshly made toast. This is a rarity for me. Usually I make toast and by the time I get around to eating it, it's room temp. Because of this, it took me a looong time to work my way through this small amount of almond butter.

Sure, Blockette and Mrblocko said they thought it tasted good too, but then why could I never get them to eat it? Blockette still preferred chunky peanut butter. She wants that EVERY day for lunch. I'm not sure what Mrblocko's excuse was. Senility? Amnesia? He saw a bug? Whatever. He claims he could never remember to use it at meal times...even though it was sitting right on the counter the whole time.

Even though I liked this butter, I don't have any plans to make it in the future, not unless I can get a guarantee that I will have someone to help me eat it.


Chocolate Cherry Almond Butter from How Sweet it is
1 cup almonds
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup dried cherries
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
pinch of sea salt

Add almonds to food processor and blend until smooth. Add in the rest of ingredients, streaming in canola oil, and pulsing to combine. Blend until smooth.

2 comments:

  1. Now this is one I can stand behind ;) what do you suggest for a replacement for almonds, for a picky husband? would cashews do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should give it a try! Why doesn't your husband like almonds? Man...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!