Monday, March 21, 2011

Peanut Butter Hummus

I am really REALLY picky about my hummus. For the longest time I thought I just didn't like hummus. I even tried to make my own. (I thought it was disgusting.) The only hummus I have found that I like is made by Sabra, oh and the stuff they sell at the Holy Land Restaurant in Minneapolis. I could eat that by the vat.

So knowing that I am picky about my hummus, I have no idea why I decided to test out the recipe for peanut butter hummus from How sweet it is. The combination of peanut butter and chickpeas sounded intriguing. I think the main thing that sold me was that this was a hummus that didn't require tahini. I think that tahini can make or break the dip. (So can a low quality olive oil for that matter. )

I absolutely love this hummus. The peanut butter makes it extra smooth and creamy. I spread it on toast and dip anything from crackers to carrots in it. Blockette and Mrblocko think it is weird and gross. I am totally OK with this. There were plenty of things my mom ate that grossed me out. It's only fair that I get to have some fun and gross out my family! Plus, if they don't like it, I don't gotta share!

One thing to remember when you are making hummus is to make sure you remove the little skins around the chickpeas. I'm sure there are all kinds of good nutrients in there, but it makes the hummus on the gritty side if you leave them in.

As for the substitutions, I only made one. I hardly think it counts though. We were out of ground black pepper so I used white instead. I guess white has a milder flavor, but in this dip, I couldn't tell. Also, the recipe said to start off with 1/4 c olive oil. I had to add 3/4 c to get the consistency I wanted. And even then the hummus is still very thick! Maybe I got some extra dense garbanzo beans or something.

For some reason none of the pictures of the hummus turned out. The focus on the camera was just off and I couldn't get it to manually adjust. I think it was because of the yellow light in the kitchen and the color of the hummus. It made the camera go all wonky.


Peanut Butter Hummus from How Sweet it is makes about 1 1/2 cups
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

Shell chickpeas if you wish. Add chickpeas to food processor and process until finely ground. Add peanut butter and mix until combined. With the food processor on, stream in olive oil through the top. You may need to add more to meet your desired consistency. Add salt, pepper and paprika and mix. Garnish with a sprinkling of smoked paprika. Serve with veggies and pita chips.

1 comment:

  1. Girl, you know I am not the picky one but that does sound iw. I may have to find another hummus recipe, I don't have enough hummus in my life. Or is that couscous? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!